Trump suspends funds to WHO over coronavirus response

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday announced he is halting funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) over its handling of the coronavirus pandemic. Trump in his press briefing said that WHO had “failed in its basic duty and it must be held accountable”.

Trump for weeks has been alleging WHO being ‘China-centric’ and promoting China’s “disinformation”. Earlier this week, He had threatened that his administration will stop cooperating with the health group.

His previous accusations were rejected by the organisation saying they are ‘colour-blind’ and ‘Close to every nation’.

“The focus of all political parties should be to save their people. Please don’t politicise this virus,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said last week in response to US president.

The United States death toll from the novel coronavirus surpassed 25,000 on Tuesday as the number of confirmed cases across the country neared 600,000. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.