Faruqui case: Anthony and Vyas walk out of jail, two left in prison now

After 44 days in prison, Prakhar Vyas (23) and Adwin Anthony (25), accused of organising a comedy show of stand-up comedian Munawar Faruqui were released from jail on Saturday evening.

The Indore bench of the High Court had on Friday granted interim bail to Vyas and Anthony.

As per the High Court’s order, the district court on Saturday ordered the release of Vyas and Anthony on a bail of Rs 50,000 and a surety of the same amount.

The duo refused to say anything to the media on the allegations in the FIR lodged against them.

Like Faruqui, they reposed trust in the judiciary. “That’s what has helped us,” Anthony told presser.

Munawar Faruqui, who was arrested on January 1, was set free on bail last week.

Faruqui and five others, including a minor, involved in organising the show were arrested following a complaint by a Hindu fringe group leader and son of local BJP MLA Malini Laxman Singh Gaud.

The MLA’s son had alleged that objectionable comments were made about Hindu deities and Union Home Minister Amit Shah during the show held on January 1.

Eyewitnesses told Maktoob that the police detained Faruqui before he had actually started performing. On January 4, the Indore Police had said that there was no visual evidence to show that Faruqui had insulted Hindu deities.

Two left in prison

Now, two co-accused are left in prison — Sadaqat Khan and Nalin Yadav.

Sadaqat Khan was arrested on January 2, and on February 9, his second application for regular bail was rejected by the sessions court.

The bail application of Nalin Yadav was rejected by the Madhya Pradesh High Court on January 28.

Minor accused was already granted bail earlier.