Monday, May 27, 2024

Estimated 10,000 Palestinians buried under rubbles: Gaza civil defence

An estimated 10,000 Palestinians are buried under the rubble of buildings flattened by Israeli attack in the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian civil defence said on Tuesday.

Palestinian officials previously estimated there were 7,000 people under rubble who have not been recovered and therefore not recorded in the health ministry’s death toll, which currently stands at over 34,500. This includes at least 67 civil defence members who were also killed by the occupational forces.

In a press release published, the civil defence also warned of the spread of diseases from the decomposed bodies.

It would take two to three years to recover all the bodies unless Israel allows necessary equipments to the besieged enclave. The presser stated that high temperatures in the summer will likely increase the threat of epidemics, as heat accelerates the decomposition of corpses.

“Allow the entry of heavy equipment necessary to enable our crews to save the lives of those wounded by the ongoing Israeli bombing, as well as to extract the bodies of the martyrs that are decomposing under the rubble, and are causing a health disaster for the population.” 

The UN estimates there are 37 million tonnes of debris in Gaza left by the intense Israeli bombardment of residential buildings for seven months. It could take 14 years to safely clear the debris, according to Pehr Lodhammar, a senior officer from the United Nations Mine Action Service. 

“All I can say is that at least 10 per cent of the ammunition that is being fired potentially fails to function…with 100 trucks we’re talking about 14 years of work with 100 trucks, so that’s 14 years to remove with about 750,000 workdays – person workdays – to remove the debris,” Lodhammar said.

Meanwhile, UN humanitarians repeated warnings that famine is imminent in the northern Gaza Strip, in a renewed urgent appeal for more aid relief to be allowed into the enclave.

spot_img

Don't Miss

Related Articles