Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Civilian killings: Nagaland groups call for boycotting Republic Day celebrations

Civilian killings: Nagaland groups call for boycotting Republic Day celebrations
Funeral of 14 civilians killed by Indian soldiers.

Several Naga organisations in Nagaland have urged people not to take part in Republic Day celebrations on Wednesday to protest the killing of 14 civilians by the Indian Army in Nagaland last month.

While demanding justice for the civilians who were killed and demanded that the draconian Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act be repealed and progress be made in the Naga peace process, Naga Students’ Federation, Eastern Nagaland People’s Organisation, All Naga Students’ Association, and United Naga Council have called for boycotting Republic Day celebrations.

The Naga Students Federation (NSF) president Kegwayhun Tep and General Secretary Süpuni Ng Philo said that Nagas should disassociate themselves from all celebrations including Republic Day celebration as long as the Union government continues with its policy of “militarising the Naga homeland.”

“This is not in defiance of any forces on earth but the assertion that the voices of the Naga people cannot be muted despite the continued subjugation by forces reeking of colonial ideologies and practices,” they said.

The United Naga Council (UNC) called for a total shutdown for six hours across the Naga-inhabited areas in Manipur on Republic Day to express their resentment against delaying and frequent backtracking on the political settlement of the historic Indo-Naga Framework Agreement even after six years of signing, East Mojo reported.

The imposed shutdown is also for not ensuring justice for the victims of Oting villagers on 4 and 5 of December, 2021, said United Naga Council.

The Naga people of Manipur will abstain from participating in India’s Republic Day on January 26 as part of its non-cooperation movement, the group said.

Eastern Nagaland People’s Organization (ENPO) has also decided to abstain from the Republic Day celebration.

ENPO in statement stated, “it is to remind all concerned that the ENPO in its joint consultative meeting with all Eastern Nagaland civil societies on 14th December 2021 at Longleng had resolved that, the public of Eastern Nagaland shall extend non cooperation to security forces until justice is delivered to the victim’s families in particular and the people Of Nagas in general against the gruesome killings of innocent public in Mon district Nagaland by the Indian Security Forces on 4th & 5th December 2021. The non co-operation shall be in the form of, Abstain from any National celebrations, or such activities.”

spot_img

Don't Miss

Related Articles