Delhi lynching : Accused left while police was on the scene

The police FIR filed over the lynching of farmhouse caretaker Rajaram by cow vigilantes, signals that although the police reached the lynching spot, they failed to take the names of the accused mob.

The police FIR states: “There were eight cows and two calves at the spot. These were taken to a safe gaushala. After this, the members of ‘Gau Rakshak Dal’ left without giving their names…”

After beaten up brutally by the violent ‘Gau Rakshak Dal’ mob of 10-15, 40-year-old caretaker Rajaram succumbed to his injuries in the hospital, while his 5-6 associates are still undergoing treatment, according to a report by Indian Express.

Rajaram worked at the farmhouse and also sold milk to villagers nearby, his family said. They denied allegations of cow slaughter and said he was targeted “by locals” for no reason.

While no arrests have been made in the murder-lynching case, police have arrested people for the alleged cow-slaughter.

Two FIRs have been filed, one by the police, the other by Mohd Shanu, an associate of Rajaram who got beaten up by the ‘Gau Rakshaks’.

Md Shanu’s FIR states that they were inside the farmhouse when a group of men, who identified themselves as “Gau Rakshaks”, broke into the house. The complainant further alleged that the men questioned them and beat them up. The police came later, stopped the fight and took the injured men to the hospital, where Rajaram succumbed to his injuries.

The police FIR names six men including Mohd Shanu, who were assaulted up by the ‘Gau Rakshaks’. The FIR also states that four of the men beaten up were taken to the hospital by the police.

A senior police officer, who wished for anonymity told IE, “We received the call around 2.10 am. There’s not much staff around that time. Three-four police personnel went to the spot and found the men injured. There were also 10-15 locals. Since the priority was the injured, the staff decided to take them to the hospital and then conduct an investigation. The team helped the injured persons and took them to RTRM. We also collected cow carcasses. Meanwhile, the accused, who were in larger numbers, left.”

DCP (Dwarka) Shankar Choudhary said, “Soon after the FIRs were lodged, we formed teams to investigate the matter. Teams have been sent to Delhi-NCR and other states to nab the accused. We will arrest them soon.”