Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Four sanitation workers die cleaning sewer at Faridabad hospital

Four sanitation workers including siblings died after inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning a sewer pit at a private hospital in Faridabad Wednesday afternoon.

The victims were identified as Rohit, his brother Ravi, Vishal, and Ravi Goldar, said police. All are between 25 and 30 years of age.

The victims had been working with Delhi-based company Santushti Allied Services, which provides cleaning services.

The incident took place at QRG hospital in Sector 16, Faridabad. The hospital hired the company to clean its sewer, which was done every month.

“Today afternoon, two workers first entered the sewer and fainted after inhaling a poisonous gas that had built up inside it. When they did not return, two more workers went in to rescue them after which they too fell unconscious. The workers suffocated to death and did not have any safety equipment. Some workers and hospital staff rushed to help them. Their bodies were retrieved from the manhole with help from the fire brigade. Though they were rushed to a hospital, they were declared dead on arrival,” Indian Express quoted Sube Singh, spokesperson, Faridabad police, as saying.

Two staffers of the hospital, Narender and Shahid, were also admitted to the ICU after they tried to rescue the victims.

“On the complaint of the victims’ families, legal action shall be taken against the hospital and the firm which supplied the workers. The bodies have been kept at the mortuary of a civil hospital for post-mortem,” said the police.

According to the police, the sewer was at least 10-12 feet deep.

“If my brother was provided safety equipment, this incident would not have occurred. Bina safety ke sewer mein bhejna, maut ka kuan mein bhejne jaisa hai… everyone knows there is gas in the pit. He had been working with the contractor for five-six months and got Rs 350-400 a day. I don’t know under what circumstances he agreed to enter the sewer pit without safety gear…” Vishal’s relative Ravi said to Indian Express.

spot_img

Don't Miss

Related Articles