Sunday, May 26, 2024

Nearly 100 schools in Delhi shut over bomb threat, officials say it appears to be hoax

On Wednesday, around 100 schools in Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR) received a bomb threat email. These include at least five schools in the southwest, three in the east, and 10 in South Delhi.

The schools received the threats on their official email IDs around 4 am. The Home Ministry and the Delhi Police have urged citizens not to panic, saying that it appears to be a hoax. Central agencies are also investigating the matter.

The school premises was evacuated. Police also heightened security protocols at metro and railway stations, bus terminals, and marketplaces in response to the situation.

Approximately 3500 students were sent home by school buses or were taken by parents from Delhi Public School, Vasant Kunj, as a precautionary measure after its multiple branches received bomb threats, school authorities said.

Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, Vinai Kumar Saxena, said that the Delhi Police has found out the origin of the threat emails and that an investigation is underway. He added, “I want to assure the people of Delhi that Delhi Police is fully prepared and we will try to prevent any untoward incident from happening.”

Quoting officials, The Indian Express, reported that prima facie the emails appear to have been sent from an IP address located in Russia. Delhi education minister Atishi, confirming the development, said that nothing suspicious has been found yet in any of the schools.

“Some schools have received bomb threats today morning. Students have been evacuated and those premises are being searched by Delhi Police. So far nothing has been found in any of the schools. We are in constant touch with the Police and the schools. Would request parents and citizens not to panic. School authorities will be in touch with parents wherever needed,” Atishi said in a post on X (formerly Twitter).

spot_img

Don't Miss

Related Articles