At least 150 Israelis have been killed in the surprise attacks by Hamas fighters in southern Israel, Israeli media has said.
More than 1,100 more people are wounded.
The group running the besieged enclave said its surprise, large-scale operation was in response to the desecration of Al-Aqsa Mosque and increased settler violence.
Hamas’s military leader, Mohammad Deif, said early on Saturday that 5,000 rockets had been fired at Israel. The Israeli military put the number at 2,200. Rocket fire continued throughout the day and by evening sirens were still blaring in Tel Aviv.
Hamas has released footage of fighters heading into Israel on motorbikes through a hole in Israel’s boundary fence.
In response to the assualt, Israel has bombarded the Gaza Strip, killing about 200 Palestinians according to Palestine health ministry.
Mean while, three Palestinians have now been killed and more than 30 wounded in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem, according to Palestinian medics. One of those was a 13-year-old boy.