The family of Indian photojournalist Danish Siddiqui, who was killed in crossfire covering the war in Afghanistan in July last year, said that they will move the International Criminal Court on March 22 against the Taliban in relation to the matter.
“This was not an isolated incident. The Taliban’s military code of conduct, published as the Layha, has a policy of attacking civilians, including journalists,” his family said in a press release on Monday.
Pulitzer winner journalist Siddiqui, 38, was killed while covering a clash between Afghan security forces and Taliban fighters near a border crossing between Afghanistan and Pakistan Pakistan on July 16 last year. He was covering the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan for Reuters news agency.
Siddiqui’s family said they will initiate legal action to investigate Siddiqui’s killing and bring those responsible, including high-level commanders and leaders of the Taliban, to justice.
Though Reuters news agency could not verify all the details that led to the journalist’s death, an investigation by The New York Times had said that Siddiqui’s body was badly mutilated while in the custody of the Taliban.