Friday, March 1, 2024

Fresh violence in Manipur’s Moreh; Commando killed in gunfight

As security forces and suspected Kuki militants engaged in gunfire in the border town of Moreh in Tengnoupal district on Wednesday morning, the gunfight took the life of an Indian Reserve Battalion (IRB) jawan.

Manipur Home Department Commissioner requested the Union Ministry of Home Affairs for helicopters for medical emergencies and to airlift troops and weaponry to the area.

Reports say that suspected Kuki militants opened fire and dropped bombs at a security position close to SBI Moreh. A retaliatory fire was fired by the security personnel in response.

When the police approached Ward 7, the militants opened fire. More than an hour passed during the gunfight. Two days have passed since two suspects in the death of a police officer were taken into custody in Moreh.

Concerned about a “breach of peace, disturbance of public tranquillity, and grave danger to human lives and property within the revenue jurisdiction of Tengnoupal,” the Manipur government has implemented a complete curfew in the district.

The curfew does not apply to law enforcement or critical services.

On Tuesday night in the Imphal West district’s Koutruk village, local volunteers engaged in gunfire with suspected Kuki terrorists. The firing was stopped by government soldiers in the centre.

PTI reports that Phillip Khongsai and Hemokholal Mate were taken into custody by the local police on Monday for the suspected murder of SDPO Ch Anand in October of last year. The police pursued and arrested the two after they opened fire on the security guards’ vehicle.

They were placed under police detention for nine days.

They were found in possession of one handgun with two live rounds, one Chinese hand grenade, 10 live rounds of AK ammo, and ten detonators, according to the police.

Since May of last year, there have been over 200 deaths from violent incidents involving the Kuki and Meitei communities.


Don't Miss

Related Articles