Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Manipur unrest: 219 killed since May, 10,000 FIRs registered

The ethnic violence between the Meitei and the Kuki-Zo communities in Manipur has led to the death of 219 persons and displaced 60,000 people since May 3 last year, Governor Anusuiya Uikey said on Wednesday while addressing the Legislative Assembly.

Most of the killings happened in the early days of the unrest which continues to prevail in the northeastern state. To maintain law and order, 198 companies of central armed police forces (CAPFs) and 140 columns of army have been deployed in the state.

Uikey informed that police took 187,143 persons under preventive detention since the beginning of the unrest and released them after legal formalities.

About 10,000 First Information Reports have been registered in connection with the violence.

The Central Bureau of Investigation is investigating 29 of these cases and the National Investigation Agency is probing one case. Four more cases will be transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation and another five to the National Investigation Agency, Uikey said.

“Those families who have lost their dear ones are being given compensation of ₹10 lakh each based on verification. Bodies of victims have been given to their families and their last rites performed,” she said.

Last week, a senior policeman was abducted by a militant group before being rescued.

Audit of weapons snatched from armouries has been done and they are being recovered as part of a continuous process, she added.

spot_img

Don't Miss

Related Articles