Sunday, March 3, 2024

Govt asks The Caravan to take down report on ‘torture and murder of civilians’ by Indian Army

screengrab from The Caravan website

The award-winning English magazine The Caravan on Tuesday said that they received an order from the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting under Section 69A of the IT Act, directing them to take down a story published on February 01 about the “Indian Army’s torture and murder of civilians” in Jammu.

“The order’s content is confidential. We will be challenging this order,” the magazine said in a post on social media platform X.

The article was published in the February magazine issue and written by journalist Jatinder Kaur Tur. Titled ‘Screams from the Army Post’, it was a deep dive into the killing of three civilians allegedly by Indian soldiers on December 22, 2023, which had been widely reported. Videos of civilians being tortured had gone viral and the Indian government announced compensation to the families of the slain.

The report also said that while three men had been killed, about 25 people had been picked up by the Army and severely tortured.

spot_img

Don't Miss

Related Articles