Wednesday, April 24, 2024

10 children confirmed starved to death in Gaza: WHO

The World Health Organization on Friday said that at least 10 children are confirmed to have starved to death in hospitals in Gaza. WHO spokesperson Christian Lindmeier described the number as a “sad threshold”.

According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), the ministry confirmed four more deaths of children, which brought the total so far to 10, while a further 193 Palestinians were killed and 920 injured between Thursday afternoon and midday on Friday.

“These are official records and as you all point out, exactly, the unofficial numbers can unfortunately be expected to be higher,” Lindmeier said in a video posted on X.

“And once we see them, once we see them registered in hospitals, once we see them registered officially, it’s already further down the line.”

Amidst the growing call for a ceasefire and lifting of the blockade, US President Biden on Friday announced the US will begin airdropping humanitarian aid into Gaza in the “coming days”.

The US is also working on a possible “maritime corridor”, his administration said. Biden has also said he hopes to see a deal for a ceasefire in Gaza reached by Ramadan.

Meanwhile, the death toll of aid-seekers who were fired on by Israeli forces in Gaza City on Thursday has reached 115, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

spot_img

Don't Miss

Related Articles